10 Morning Workout Hacks to get you Moving
There are those of us who are naturally able to wake with the sunlight or before, pop out of bed, and get moving. Then there's the rest of us who after 5 rounds of hitting the snooze button, slowly move to the coffee machine before we can fully open our eyes. If you're the latter, here's a few tips to get your moving in the morning and on to your morning workout!
1. Get a good night sleep. Sort of an obvious one but if you know you've got an early morning workout planned, hit the hay early! Get in a decent nights sleep and you'll be more likely to get up for your workout. Plus you'll perform better!
2. Lay out your workout clothes the night before. The first thing you grab should be your workout clothes to throw on. Don't go to the kitchen in your pajamas, immediately get dressed before you do anything else! Some might even sleep in them!
3. Drink up buttercup! Wake up and drink water to help get your digestive system moving, your metabolism revved up and your energy blazing! Make it a goal to start with 10-32 ounces before you touch coffee.
4. DON'T hit snooze! If you're a chronic snoozer, put your alarm out of reach so you actually have to get up to turn it off.
5. Find a friend or accountability group. If you're meeting someone at the gym, you're going to feel guilty if you just don't show up. So find a friend who has similar goals in mind and can help get you there! Working out at home? You can still find a friend or hire a coach who will check in with you (maybe even text you early) to be sure you're getting your workout done.
6. Rock out! Create a fun playlist, find a podcast or a book on tape that will help keep you entertained and motivated to keep moving!
7. Mix it up. If you're the type of person who gets bored easily, be sure you find something that is constantly changing! A gym that offers multiple types of classes, a trainer who will program a variety of workouts or a few different studios you can visit throughout the week to keep you motivated!
8. Tune out! Turn off phone notifications or leave it out of reach during your workout. If you're getting messages, emails, etc. during your workouts that cause you to pause, read and respond, you're energy and motivation to continue will drop. During your scheduled workout time focus on your workout and limit outside distractions.
9. Write yourself a note. Or two, or three with your end goal. Post those notes on your bathroom mirror, your fridge, your computer, wherever you routinely go as a reminder of why you're doing what you're doing.
10. Be kind to yourself! If you miss a morning workout, don't beat yourself up AND don't make it a habit! Talk kindly to yourself, give praise for your hard work and be your biggest cheerleaders! Bottom line you're doing something that is going to better you for the long run so give yourself a pat on the back and keep on going!
Try one or all of these out to help get you moving in the morning and working towards your goals!